Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Grocery Challenge!

I'm currently in super penny pinching mode right now, so in trying to figure out where else we can save money, I decided to present myself with a challenge. On average (since November anyway) we spend about $181.50 per month on groceries. This month, I wanted to drastically cut that and see if I could make it. So this month's goal is $100. That wouldn't be so bad, except we're already partway into the month and I've already gone grocery shopping and have already spent $72. That leaves me $28 for the rest of the month. I'm feeling quite brave and adventurous, though, so I decided that I can do this.

Please note, I'm not trying to live off of only the food I can purchase with $28. My shelves are pretty stocked up, and this will force me to be creative in making meals with what I have. It will also teach me to read the grocery ads and search for really good deals.

My first shopping trip was today. I spent $10.63 at Smith's and Buy Low. I purchased:
  • 10 bags of pasta $4.90 (I figure that will go a long way in eating frugally)
  • 1 lb. bag of carrots $0.25
  • 16 kiwi $2
  • 3 onions $0.17
  • 1 cantaloupe $1.28
  • 1 red pepper $0.78
  • 1 green pepper $0.78
In addition, I transferred my pre-natal prescription (which I ran out of last night) to Smith's and they gave me $25 on my Preferred Savings card. I'm going to try to still make it in my original $28 budget, but if I don't, I have a $25 buffer. (Side note: with my groceries and my prescription, I still made $1.27 after the $25 of free groceries.)

Budget left: $17.37
Buffer left: $25

No comments:

Post a Comment